9th World Congress on Alternatives and Animal Use in the Life Sciences: Registrations open
The 9th World Congress on Alternatives and Animal Use in the Life Sciences will be held in Prague, Czech Republic, on 24–28 August 2014. The world congress provides an exceptional forum to underline the importance of both the ethical issues of animal experimentation and the 3Rs approach to the life sciences in the 21st century.
The world congress will provide you with an opportunity to share your scientific results and experience in use and welfare of experimental animals, to expand your knowledge on 3Rs policies in different parts of the world, and to get updated on innovative tools for educating young scientists in the 3Rs.
Czech society has always relied on humane traditions and responsiveness to maintain sustainability of the environment including the animals, which is captured by the motto of WC9 “Humane Science in the 21st Century”.
SCIENTIFIC PROGRAM TOPICS
I. New technologies
- Virtual tissue models
- High throughput screening models
- Big data
- Tissue on a chip/Human on a chip
- Novel 3D models
- High-content imaging
- Monitoring (telemetry)
II. Predictive toxicology and safety assessment
- Pathway approaches in toxicology (e.g. AOP)
- Systems biology
- Updates on research programs around the world (e.g. Tox21, ToxCast, EC FP6 & FP7 program, ARCH-Tox…)
- Topical Toxicity
- Repeated dose toxicity
- Skin sensitization
- Endocrine disruption
- Reproductive and developmental toxicology
- Genotoxicity / Carcinogenicity
- Inhalation toxicity
- Computational modeling and chem-informatics
- Risk assessment (e.g. chemicals, drugs, biocides, food, cosmetics, medical devices, nano-materials, mixtures, biologicals etc.)
- Discussion session: Application of non-animal methods in testing strategies and decision making
III. 3Rs in academia and education
- 3Rs in academic education, training programs and anticipated needs
- Funding agencies and funding programs (e.g. Horizon 2020)
- Innovative teaching and training tools
- Discussion session: Montreal Declaration
IV. Communication, dissemination and data sharing
- Information requirements on project proposals (e.g. Directive 2010/63)
- Scientific reporting standards (in vivo and in vitro)
- Retrospective analysis / non-technical summaries (2010/63)
- Information systems and databases
- Intellectual property rights
V. Efficacy and safety testing of drugs and biologicals
- Pathway-based assays
- Screening strategies
- Disease models In vitro/In vivo
- Potency of human and veterinarian vaccines
- Medical devices and biologicals
VI. Human Relevance
- In vitro disease models
- In vitro models of aging
- Use of stem cells in screening
- Human biomarkers
- Absorption, distribution, methabolism and excretion
- Discussion session: Pros and cons on animal models
- Use of materials of human origin
- Testing in human volunteers
- Ethical evaluation
- Distress evaluation
- Benefit evaluation
VIII. Refinement and welfare
- Non-human primates
- Best practice welfare approaches / case studies
- Humane principles in experimental techniques
- Avoidance of severe suffering
- Culture of care
IX. Global cooperation, regulatory acceptance and standardisation
- Activity updates from international scientific societies
- Animal welfare implementation across the world
- Activity updates from international validation centres
- Novel approaches to validation
- Regulatory acceptance of alternatives
- Breaking down barriers and promoting international cooperation on 3Rs
ABSTRACTS SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 1 APRIL 2014
For submitting your abstract(s) please read carefully instructions for abstract submission HERE.
The Congress will be hosted by Hotel Hilton Prague – a perfect base to discover the beauties of Prague. It is located within walking distance to the city center full of local attractions, shops and a lively night scene.
Registration, Accommodation and Abstract submission online forms were opened.
For more information about registration please visit the Congress website.
To make a registration, it is necessary to fill in this online REGISTRATION FORM.
GUARANT International (further referred to also as the Congress Secretariat) has been appointed as the official hotel accommodation agent for 9th World Congress on Alternatives and Animal Use in the Life Sciences (WC9 2014) and will handle all related arrangements.
For more details about accommodation please visit the Congress website.
Last changed: 12/11/2013